Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Blackman - Song #12

Blackman by Rich Baker (to the tune of Blackbird by The Beatles)*

(*Note* My goal with these songs are not to do parody songs. However, I feel this one is meaningful and works perfectly with a song I happen to love. There will probably be very few of these. This may be the only song I write that is a 'parody' song.)

Blackman walking down my street at night
I am so afraid he’s got a knife
And he’ll try
To rob me and to stab me which will end my life

Black man walked up to me at night
Take these wallet and watch and leave me be
Don’t take my life
Did you just break out of prison and now you are free?

Black man at night, Black man at night
Irrationally afraid just because I am white

That black man is fine. The black man’s fine.
I’m racist and weak and I know that’s not right

Black man walking down my street at night
Instead of looking down I’ll decide
To say, ‘Hi.’
We are still waiting for this racism to die
We should look at this world with some brand new eyes
We should all be better and that would be wise

No comments:

Post a Comment