Sunday, January 3, 2010

You’re Not Helping (Your Stereotype) Song #2 on Day #2

You’re Not Helping (Your Stereotype) by Rich Baker

(Verse)
Driving down the road
Going way too slow
It’s like the car in front of me
Is in another reality.
One lane street
I got nowhere to go
Rage is building up inside
My top is ready to blow
Finally another lane
I pull up to the right
And behind the wheel
I see in my sights
An elderly asian woman
Who can barely see over the dash
An elderly asian woman
And I hate to be brash, but…

(Chorus)
You’re not helping
You’re not helping
You’re not helping your stereotype
Are you out to prove all the comedians right?
Because you’re not helping your stereotype.

(verse)
At the line in the bank
There stood a man.
A wrinkled wife beater
And a bad farmer’s tan
He smoked Marlboro reds
And a mullet on top
Drinking Coor’s from a can
I think I saw him on Cops
He hasn’t shaved in three days
He takes advice from Jerry Springer
And drives a truck
Giving people the finger
He likes to eat spam
Bill Engvall’s his hero
When he tries to speak Spanish he mispronounces ‘yo queer-o.’

(Chorus)
You’re not helping
You’re not helping
You’re not helping your stereotype
Are you out to prove the comedians right?
Because you’re not helping your stereotype

(Bridge)
You see them everywhere:
Like ten frat guys at a bar
All hitting on the same chick
Or a guy in a cowboy hat
When it’s not Halloween
A Irish man drunk
On St. Paddy’s day morning
Or a Jewish lawyer asking
The Red Cross guy for change.

We as a people can shatter preconceived thoughts
Do what’s different. Show them all that we got.
Don’t throw up in a cab if you’re slutty drunk girl
Americans need to learn about the rest of the world
Foreigners please tip when you eat out
Black people when you talk you don’t ALWAYS NEED TO SHOUT

(Verse)
I look in the mirror and what do I see?
A nerdy looking white guy staring back at me
Spends too much time on facebook
And quotes movies all day
And when he disapproves of something he says “that’s so gay.”
Don’t wear so many superman t-shirts
Or talk about Battlestar Gallactica all the time
And download illegal music and not think it’s a crime.
He dances way off rhythm or eats food after it’s bad
And blames all his issues on his alcoholic dad.

(Chorus)
I’m not helping
I’m not helping
I’m not helping my stereotype
Am I out to prove all the comedians right?
Because I’m not helping my stereotype

Let’s dare to be different.
Let’s prove them all wrong
We need to start helping
We need to start helping
We need to start helping our stereotype

No comments:

Post a Comment